Skip to main content

HALL OF FAME # 8-- THE CREATOR'S GAME: A STORY OF BAAGA'ADOWE/LACROSSE, by Art Coulson, Review by Michael, 17

Usually, when a teacher or librarian knows you like sports and they are trying to encourage you to read, they'll suggest books by Matt Christopher. Not until I looked him up did I realize the man had been dead for years and "the family continues to oversee productions of books by Matt Christopher created by various writers and illustrators, treating the name as a trademark." To be honest (no shade) that's how the books read.

That's why it was amazing when I came across Art Coulson's (Cherokee) great book, THE CREATOR'S GAME: A STORY OF BAAGA'ADOWE/LACROSSE!


Another subject I like to read is relationships between generations of Indigenous men. There aren't too many books like that. (I picked a very different one, HIDDEN ROOTS, by Joseph Bruchac for the HALL OF FAME before.) Of course, I'm glad to see a mom and grandma in this story too. Sixth grader Travis plays lacrosse, but he's not very good at it and he hates to practice and look like a fool. The other boys and Coach Deeley don't have much confidence in him.

When he gets home he tells his grandma something totally relatable-- "I did all my homework before practice. I just want to go to bed and read my comic books. I don't even want to think about stupid lacrosse."

His grandma replies:

Don't talk that way. Your grandpa, Nenookaasii, was a great lacrosse player. He was so fast and hard to catch, everyone at Leech Lake called him the Hummingbird. He was a strong, swift player. You will be, too. It's in your blood.
He goes to his bedroom, slams the door and lies on the bed to read The Sandman: Dream Country. His grandfather steps out of the shadows and asks him why he wants to quit lacrosse--"that game is in our blood as Anishinaabe people." Travis says, "I stink at it." Grandpa tells Travis that lacrosse is "the Creator's game--we play for his amusement."



Travis' mom doesn't believe that her son spoke to his grandfather's spirit but grandma does. Travis doesn't become an overnight great lacrosse player. Grandpa visits him again and teaches him more. He lets him know the difference between traditional and modern lacrosse sticks and balls and "every tribe has its own style." This information was really interesting to me. I had never read it anywhere else and it is woven perfectly into the story.

Coulson knows how real boys talk and interact with each other. I don't want to ruin all the surprises, like the story grandpa tells about the time animals played the Creator's game and if Travis finally succeeds at the big game. I hope others will read this book to find out. This is seriously one of the best books I have ever read. And when we talk about boys not reading (I have dyslexia so it's a real challenge for me) and replacing old anti-Native and racist books with new good ones, I think this is a book that should be well-known and widely available.

                                              Mr. Art with Native youth who play lacrosse

There is a Glossary of Ojibwe Words, more information about the game and recommended reading at the back of the book. The illustrations by Anishinaabe, Red Lake artist Robert DesJarlait go perfectly with the text.

This is my review of Art Coulson's biography of Jim Thorpe. @Ofglades hopes to see more books by Mr. Art soon--he is one of the best writing today!!!!


Thanks to Miss Ann for helping me with this review--and Alexis approved the final draft!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I CAN MAKE THIS PROMISE, by Christine Day--a review by Ashleigh, 13

This is the kind of book you can't put down. But you don't want to read it all at once either--because then it will be over! It's a novel I related to personally, and I think many readers will enjoy it, young and old.                      The more I look at this cover by Michaela Goade --all the details--the more I love it! The Upper Skagit author, Christine Day, has a "Dear Reader" note at the beginning of the ARC that is very heartfelt. She talks about being a graduate student and going on a trip "to visit a Suquamish Elder, the Suquamish Museum, and the historic site of Old Man House." She remembers the exact date--January 21. 2017--because it was the same day as the Women's March. She talks about seeing "Instagram flooded with pictures from the protests," while she ate breakfast and listened to professors.                                                                     pink hats This is kind of a perfect image of a

APPLE IN THE MIDDLE, by Dawn Quigley--Review by Alexis, Age 18

*Warning: There are spoilers because I discuss the book, but I don’t give away important plot points. There is also use of the n-word. I know you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, but I was really drawn to the image on Dawn Quigley’s APPLE IN THE MIDDLE (AITM) before the book was even published (August 2018). The image of a contemporary Native teen, who is not ridiculously glamorous, but pretty and real (love those earrings!), got stuck in my mind immediately. I thought, ‘I want to know who this girl is,’ and why there’s a pink house in the background. I am happy to say that the book more than lived up to my expectations. It’s not just a well-written, enjoyable book I admired from a distance. In some ways, I feel I am that girl on the cover, fifteen-year old Apple Starkington. Even though the circumstances of our lives are very different. Like Apple, I have a White father and a Native mother. My mom is Florida Seminole, while Apple’s mother was Turtle Mountain Chippewa.

Welcome to Indigo's Bookshelf!

We are a group of Florida Natives--Miccosukee, Seminole, Black, Latinix, queer and disabled--from the ages 12-20, who are passionate about kidlit and yalit. We believe in the power of books to reflect, entertain and enrich our lives from the time we are young ones. We enjoy books in digital and bound copies, with texts and/or graphics. We have experienced the bitter disappointment and danger of widespread Native misrepresentation, theft, cruelty and lies in books for all young readers. This blog is dedicated to reviewing Native #ownvoices. To us, that means books written from an inside perspective by Native authors, with proper research, respect and authorization, first and foremost for young Native readers, but also to educate other young readers and their families. We join our elders in calling to replace harmful, stereotypical texts in libraries, schools and homes. This blog is named after our friend Indigo, a Q2S sixteen-year-old who took her own life in 2018  Her beauty