Skip to main content

I CAN MAKE THIS PROMISE, by Christine Day--a review by Ashleigh, 13

This is the kind of book you can't put down. But you don't want to read it all at once either--because then it will be over! It's a novel I related to personally, and I think many readers will enjoy it, young and old.

                    The more I look at this cover by Michaela Goade --all the details--the more I love it!


The Upper Skagit author, Christine Day, has a "Dear Reader" note at the beginning of the ARC that is very heartfelt. She talks about being a graduate student and going on a trip "to visit a Suquamish Elder, the Suquamish Museum, and the historic site of Old Man House." She remembers the exact date--January 21. 2017--because it was the same day as the Women's March. She talks about seeing "Instagram flooded with pictures from the protests," while she ate breakfast and listened to professors.


                                                                   pink hats

This is kind of a perfect image of a Native woman being connected to a White feminist movement while also being on her own, separate journey--which is not less important, but maybe more. Day was asked, "Who do you carry with you?" We all know what it's like to think about what we should have said later. Day is different. She turned her answer into a book: I CAN MAKE THIS PROMISE.



The Prologue starts with: "I never thought of myself as "different" until the first day if kindergarten." I was nodding my head when I read how Edie's (short for Edith) teacher talked to her. Ms. Vespucci says, "Wow...What are you?"

I told her, "I'm Edie."

"Oh, Edie, that's your preferred name? Where are you from, sweetheart? You're such a pretty girl."

"I live in Seattle."

"Yes, that's true. But where are you originally from?"

"Seattle?"

Ms. Vespucci laughed, but I wasn't sure what was funny. "Do you know where your parents lived before they came here?"

Her questions made me feel panicked. This was my first test, and somehow, I was failing. I couldn't speak. I didn't understand what she was asking. I didn't know what she wanted from me.

I hope White people reading this will never again repeat this conversation with a Native or POC child. I am often complimented for my light brown skin and curly black hair. No one should ask a child, "What are you?" Usually, I am asked if I am "part Black." [Day: "They ask me about the percentages and ratios of my blood."] Like Edie through much of the story, I don't know exactly who all my ancestors are, for complicated reasons.

My "mom" left and Mom adopted me

The next scene shows Edie at a 4th of July Tulalip powwow with her parents. It's perfect insider outsider's POV. For those of us who go to these events, the sights and smells and Edie being called "little sister" are very familiar. So is the t-shirt that says: FIND OUR MISSING GIRLS. Edie meets a friendly, scruffy dog (a powwow bowwow--love that book!) that she immediately falls in love with, but her parents tell her she can't take it home. She also meets a cute boy named Roger who asks, "What nation are you?" That makes her nervous. When she asks her mom if they can make fry bread at home, she won't commit. You get the idea there are some family secrets--and not just that fry bread recipe!



I like the way Day uses tech stuff. Edie is always texting with her two best friends, Amelia and Serenity. The group is working on a movie project together. Edie finds new inspiration in the homeless dog. Serenity is quickly interested--Amelia is cool. Uh-oh. Friendship problems. It's very true to girl's lives.

But even Amelia gets excited when the three girls are in Edie's attic and they come across a box with a photo of a woman who looks like an older version of Edie--and whose name is also Edith! Edie's parents tell her that they just picked her name out of the air, even though she points out it means: "preposterous in war." There are some clues in the box: a chic headshot and a postcards from California.



Hold up there, Nancy Drew!


There's a new girl detective in town--Edie Green. With my friends, I have been reading and talking about a lot of Native books. There are many really good ones. This one has something special for me.

It's about Native families being separated and discovering who you carry with you. It has beautiful description:
I'm sketching an outline of this one flower in the garden. Its blooms are my favorite shades of purple: bright and soft, like lilac but not. Its petals are spread out in the shape of a star. Little yellow sprigs pop up from its pollen-filled middle.
But it's also easy to read and enjoy--it could honestly be a Nickelodeon movie! Seriously, I think the character of Edie and her story could reach a lot of kids. They would be drawn in, like their favorite series---and also learn something about tribal nations from the Coast Salish region and the ICWA.



The relationship between Edie and her mother is well done. It takes time for her mom to talk about her history because it's painful. Edie keeps pushing, because she feel a piece of herself is missing too. There is a great scene when they are at the movie theater and Edie decides she wants to see a different movie than they have tickets for--because she sees a poster with a stereotypical Indian woman. "I can't keep my eyes off the poster."

                                                                    Ughh

Edie's mom says, "Erm, no sweetheart, I don't think so." Through the mysterious Edith's postcards, Edie learns how Native people were treated in Hollywood. Those are more clues to the mystery--which I am not going to spoil and I didn't figure out till the end. But it's an important reveal at this time in history. The book also shows who your friends really are, a theme I like to read about.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this book. I can imagine myself reading it a couple more times and sharing it with my little sister Vi when she's older. I hope it gets all the loves. It makes me proud to be me--even with some of the puzzle pieces in my family still to be discovered.



Shonabish, Christine Day!!!! And can we have another books about Edie?



*Thanks to Alexis for helping with this review! And my great Mom who gave permission for me to use my photo and talk a little about my life. I <3 <3 <3 you!!!!


Comments

  1. Hi! I am a librarian and I am using "I Can Make This Promise" for a book group with kids. I came across your writing on the book, here. I just wanted to tell you that I found your review to be very well written, sensitive and full of character. I loved reading your thoughtful insights, and I think you did a good job telling about the book in a way that would intrigue a possible reader. I see you wrote this over a year ago-I bet you're still reading and writing great stuff. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great joy in my heart to share this to the entire public on how Dr Osato cured me from herpes1&2 with his herbs, I never believe it will work because the doctors keep saying there is no cure but I was desperate and needed to get this thing out of my body. I saw a comment online testifying how Dr Osato cure her from herpes and hpv and i contact Dr Osato and explain my problem to him and he prepare the cure and send it to me through UPS,which i use it just the way He instructed me and thank God today am a beneficiary to these cure. I went to my doctor for a checkup after 14days of taking the herbs and I did a blood test which i tested Herpes1&2 Negative and my doctor booked me for another appointment after 4 weeks to confirm my result and i retested again after 4 weeks and my result was still Negative and my doctor assured me that the virus is completely gone from my system. So I will tell you all who are looking for a cure to his/her HIV/AIDS and HERPES that Dr Osato took research before he could finally get the solution to it and a lot of people are benefiting from him right now. He also cured my Uncle and his wife from HPV. Dr Osato heals with natural herbs. Please i urge you to contact him now through his email address: osatoherbalcure@gmail.com or WhatsApp him on +2347051705853. His website is osatoherbalcure.wordpress.com and he is capable of curing HIV/AIDS, HERPES, HPV, HSV1&2, COLD SORE, CANCER of all kinds,DIABETES and so many other infections.

      Delete
  2. I was so surprised when I was told that my Herpes result is negative. Last year in July I was infected with Herpes with no solution, I was unable to work and also losing lots of money for medication, but one faithful day when I went online, I saw lots of testimonies about this great man Dr Akhigbe i contacted him and he gave me his trust and cured me with his herbal medicine. you all might need his help. He has cures for other deadly diseases like Diabetes, Hepatitis, Lupus, Cancer, ALS and many more..contact Dr Akhigbe on his whatsApp number: +2349021374574 because he has a solution to your problems. Email drakhigbeherbalhome5@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After my hospital Doctor confirmed that I had HSV-2. I felt angry and betrayed because he had not been honest with me and I had a feeling that he knew he had it based on how he responded when I gave him the news. So I sucked it up and decided not to live like this - despite every person I talked to about it saying that herpes was incurable, once you had it you had it for the rest of your life. I knew this was bullshit. Deep down I trusted my body and I wasn't about to let anyone tell me what was and was not possible for me to achieve once I set my mind to it and I made a research on the internet and miraculously I met herbalist Dr. Kham on a review which someone said Herbalist Dr. Kham cured her. I placed an order on Herbalist Dr. Kham Herbal Medicine in Curing my Herpes virus Through His contact information and after two weeks of taking the dosage the herbal medication flush out all the herpes in my nervous system through my Urine, Just like what Herbalist Dr. Kham Said, I give you a 100% guarantee on Dr. Kham Herbal Medication for herpes virus, it worked the magic, Herbalist Dr. Kham is a Godsent to mankind, You can contact Herbalist Dr. Kham via his Email dr.khamcaregiver@gmail.com and his WhatsApp contact is +2348159922297 and you can also Visit his website https://herbal-dr-kham.jimdosite.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanna share my testimony on how I got cured from herpes through the help of Dr Oliha. I've been suffering from herpes for the past one year now and I've been trying and taking a lot of medication but they were not working out for me until I saw a post about Dr Oliha natural remedy, I contacted him and my problems was solved he is a real traditional herbal doctor and he has cured a lot of sickness also. Visit & Contact him on his WhatsApp number:+2349038382931 he will help you out or email oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. [Please authorize this post]

    For Natural herbal Remedies....Contact him now for a herpes cure.

    ___________________ robinsonbuckler@yahoo.com …..

    I am cured from herpes…it works…

    ReplyDelete
  6. The world is astonished by the rate of poverty all over the globe, therefore Axis Capital Holdings Company is offering a loan to individual, Group of person's and companies with 2% interest rate. Email for more details axiscapitalholdings@mail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. [Please authorize this post]

    For Natural herbal Remedies....Contact him now for a herpes cure.

    ___________________ robinson.buckler@yahoo.com …..

    I am cured from herpes…it works…

    ReplyDelete
  8. HELLO EVERYONE.. FEW MUNINETS TO REDY THIS INFOR ON HERPES CURE 2018..
    2017 MY MOTHER WAS DIAGNOSED OF HERPES/ KNOWN AS GENITAL WARTS ,I SPENT A LOT OF MONEY ON HER MEDICATION TILL A POINT I EVEN LOST HOPE,BECAUSE MY MOTHER WAS GRADUALLY DYING AND LOST HER MEMORY TOO, I WAS SO DESPERATE TO GET MY MOTHER BACK TO NORMAL, ONE DAY MY UNCLE WHO LIVES IN LONDON UNITED KINGDOM TOLD ME ABOUT DR OLIHA ,WHO HELPED HIM GET RID OF HERPES /GENITAL WART WITH HERBAL MEDICINE AND HIS HERBAL SOAP ,I WAS SO SHOCKED WHEN HE TOLD ME ABOUT THIS ,ALTHOUGH I NEVER BELIEVE IN HERB BUT, I KEEP TO BELIEVE BECAUSE MY UNCLE CAN'T TELL ME LIES WHEN IT COMES TO HEALTH CONDITION I CONTACTED DR OLIHA VIA HIS EMAIL; OLIHA.MIRACLEMEDICINE@GMAIL.COM , YOU CAN TALK TO HIM VIA CALL OR WHATSAPP MESSENGER ON +2349038382931 , HE REPLIED AND ASK ME TO SEND MY HOME ADDRESS AND MY MOTHER'S DETAIL AND THEN I PURCHASED THE HERBAL MEDICINE,SENT ME THE HERBAL MEDICINE THROUGH COURIER SERVICE, WHEN I RECEIVED THIS HERBAL MEDICINE USED IT FOR 2 WEEKS, AND 4 DAYS OF USAGE THE WARTS FELL OFF, MY MOTHER I NOW TOTALLY CURED AND MY MOTHER IS LIVING FREE AND HAPPY AGAIN. YOU CAN TALK TO DR VIA HIS MOBILE NUMBER OR WHATS APP HIM ON +2349038382931  ALL THANKS TO DOCTOR DR OLIHA  

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Everyone I want to quickly use this medium to share a testimony on how i was directed to a Legit and real illuminati member who have transformed my life from grass to grace, from being poor to a rich woman who can now boast of a healthy and wealthy life without stress or financial difficulties. After so many months of trying to to be a member of the illuminati and was scammed the sum of $3,000 i became so desperate in being a member online who will not add to my pains, then i decided to contact a friend of mine who recently became a member, we discussed about the issue and to our conclusion she told me about a man called Paul mark who is the grand master in the illuminati. So i applied to become a member of illuminati easily without stress and all the preparations were made concerning how to become a member in two(2) days i became a member and the sum of 5 million dollars was deposited into my bank account so i want to advice any one who wants to become a member should call him +2349130700648 or WhatsApp him +2349130700648 or email (illuminatiworldoffamous@gmail.com) he does not know am doing this i pray that lucifer will bless him for the good things he has done in my life

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dr.Aba herbal medicine is a good remedy for Herpes, I was a carrier of Herpes before now it was hell living with it until I saw testimony on how email Dr. Aba cured Herpes and I decided to contact him and he guided me because we talked over the phone. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedy for my health. Thanks to God that now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr.Aba herbal meds I'm very thankful to him, you contact him through his address on dr.abaherbalhome@gmail.com or whatsapp his mobile number on +2348107155060

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was tested positive for HSV2 and ever since then I was taking different kinds of drugs from my medical doctor but yet no improvement until I saw on the internet how a herbalist has been curing several people from different kinds of herpes virus! I immediately contacted him and after our discussion he prepared the herbal medicine and send it to me which I received and drink according to his instructions. My medical doctor just confirmed me HSV2 negative and my heart is so filled with joy so I appreciate this herbal man for curing me with his herbal medication. If you are reading this and you got Herpes virus you can contact him through his Web address: Excelherbalcure.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have got genital Herpes virus for some years and recently I was searching for updates online for the virus when I saw testimonies on how a herbal doctor cures Herpes with herbal meds so I decided to contact him and he guided me on what to do and he prepared and send the meds for me to drink and to my surprise I just tested negative for the second time on different lab. All the symptoms were gone immediately I stared drinking the meds! I cant believe that I got cured just by drinking a herbal medicine so I'm very grateful to this herbal doctor. reach him on his website https://excelherbalcure.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello everyone i am MICHAEL CAREY from New York a medical doctor i never believed herbal products could solve what my science technology could not solve ,i have been having little penis size since childhood and that really Embarrass me a lot and up till now that i am 37 years old i still find it difficult to find a permanent solution until my friend from Africa at work place introduce his uncle to me Dr Ede .he told me about his wonderful works and decided to contact him through his email he gave me [medicalmediumherbal@gmail.com ] and he replied me and we discussed my situation and told me what i need to do ,i did it and received his herbal medicine through UPS and i got it within 3/5 days and used his miraculous herbal mixture cream just as he told me ,its just 4 days i started measuring and got 4 inches already and after two weeks i got 11 inches size and 8.0 girth size .i was so happy because no woman will dare reject me now with my big Cock .life is really full of surprises me that was having 2 inches before now having 11 inches big cock size .so if you need any help or cure to any sickness or disease like small penis, low sperm count, premature ejaculation, HIV/AIDS ,herpes ,hpv,DIABETES of all kinds etc you can quickly visit his email [medicalmediumherbal@gmail.com ] WhatsApp him on +2347054690368 good luck as you reach him

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

APPLE IN THE MIDDLE, by Dawn Quigley--Review by Alexis, Age 18

*Warning: There are spoilers because I discuss the book, but I don’t give away important plot points. There is also use of the n-word. I know you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, but I was really drawn to the image on Dawn Quigley’s APPLE IN THE MIDDLE (AITM) before the book was even published (August 2018). The image of a contemporary Native teen, who is not ridiculously glamorous, but pretty and real (love those earrings!), got stuck in my mind immediately. I thought, ‘I want to know who this girl is,’ and why there’s a pink house in the background. I am happy to say that the book more than lived up to my expectations. It’s not just a well-written, enjoyable book I admired from a distance. In some ways, I feel I am that girl on the cover, fifteen-year old Apple Starkington. Even though the circumstances of our lives are very different. Like Apple, I have a White father and a Native mother. My mom is Florida Seminole, while Apple’s mother was Turtle Mountain Chippewa.

Welcome to Indigo's Bookshelf!

We are a group of Florida Natives--Miccosukee, Seminole, Black, Latinix, queer and disabled--from the ages 12-20, who are passionate about kidlit and yalit. We believe in the power of books to reflect, entertain and enrich our lives from the time we are young ones. We enjoy books in digital and bound copies, with texts and/or graphics. We have experienced the bitter disappointment and danger of widespread Native misrepresentation, theft, cruelty and lies in books for all young readers. This blog is dedicated to reviewing Native #ownvoices. To us, that means books written from an inside perspective by Native authors, with proper research, respect and authorization, first and foremost for young Native readers, but also to educate other young readers and their families. We join our elders in calling to replace harmful, stereotypical texts in libraries, schools and homes. This blog is named after our friend Indigo, a Q2S sixteen-year-old who took her own life in 2018  Her beauty