Skip to main content

UNSTOPPABLE: How Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team Defeated Army, by Art Coulson, Review by Michael, Age 17

Are you ready for some football?

I was assigned to write a review of UNSTOPPABLE: How Jim Thorpe and the Carlisle Indian School Football Team Defeated Army. The book is written by Art Coulson and illustrated by Nick Hardcastle.



Even though the cover looked cool and the book isn't too long, I was still intimidated to do it, because I'm dyslexic. But it turned out to be a great read that didn't frustrate me at all. As a matter of fact, it's one of my new favorite books. Let me explain why.

I have CP, that's cerebral palsy. I get around in a chair. And I play some sports. But I really like watching games and listening to them being called. Coulson did an excellent job of making me feel like I was at the Carlisle-Army Game. He is obviously also a sports fan, and can keep up the tension and excitement of the game.

I think he did an amazing job of getting young readers to know Jim Thorpe. He doesn't just seem like a legend (Olympian gold medalist and football star), but a real person, a Native/Sauk boy and man. I think people who do great things often have obstacles and they are not perfect supermen. Coulson shows this is true about Thorpe. He was too small. People laughed at him when he wanted to play football. We find out in the back of the book that Jim was beaten by his father and had many tragedies in his life.

The Carlisle School was a really bad place where Native people were stripped of their hair, clothing, languages, anything that made them Native. I was shocked by the note in the back that says that of the 10,000 students who attended Carlisle, only 158 graduated.

Coulson shows the hardship in Jim's life, but he also shows the things he loved to do--hunt, fish, ride horses. That made me feel close to Jim and better understand who he really was.



The illustrations are excellent. Some are exciting. Some are depressing. They go well with the text. There are a couple that really struck me. The one of Jim in Coach Pop Warner's office. He has his head down and is holding his hands behind his back. Even though he isn't in trouble, he has to show he is respectful and lesser than the white man even though he is the great Jim Thorpe. The other is the last, two-page illustration that shows the Carlisle players on the train home from the Army game, excitedly going over the plays.

The last line in the book is my favorite
--"Quarterback Gus Welch looked at his roommate, Jim Thorpe, and smiled, remembering every hit and tackle. "That, he said, "was the rattling of the bones."


I love that Coulson tells a little bit about the other players of the 1912 Carlisle Indians Varsity Team at the back of the book.

I think this book is good for young readers who love football and those who don't know football. And Native kids who have heard of Jim Thorpe and other kids who haven't. I don't even have small complaints. It is a great biography that should be read and shared many times over. It is definitely an #ownvoices book. I really think a Native POV (Coulson is Cherokee) on Jim Thorpe's life and career shows an intimate understanding that outsiders lack even if they are well-meaning and do lots of research.


I do NOT think the miseries of Jim's life and the forced assimilation of Native children should take front and center in the book. They are always there. We feel that. This does justice to the ways Jim survived and celebrated and achieved in his life. That's what I needed to find as a 17 year old Miccosukee guy with my own obstacles and successes.

HIGHLY RECOMMENED! A+++++

I am looking forward to reading Coulson's book THE CREATOR'S GAME: A STORY OF BAAGA'ADOWE/LACROSSE next.


*Thanks to Eduardo and Alexis for helping me with this review.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I CAN MAKE THIS PROMISE, by Christine Day--a review by Ashleigh, 13

This is the kind of book you can't put down. But you don't want to read it all at once either--because then it will be over! It's a novel I related to personally, and I think many readers will enjoy it, young and old.                      The more I look at this cover by Michaela Goade --all the details--the more I love it! The Upper Skagit author, Christine Day, has a "Dear Reader" note at the beginning of the ARC that is very heartfelt. She talks about being a graduate student and going on a trip "to visit a Suquamish Elder, the Suquamish Museum, and the historic site of Old Man House." She remembers the exact date--January 21. 2017--because it was the same day as the Women's March. She talks about seeing "Instagram flooded with pictures from the protests," while she ate breakfast and listened to professors.                                                                     pink hats This is kind of a perfect image of a

APPLE IN THE MIDDLE, by Dawn Quigley--Review by Alexis, Age 18

*Warning: There are spoilers because I discuss the book, but I don’t give away important plot points. There is also use of the n-word. I know you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, but I was really drawn to the image on Dawn Quigley’s APPLE IN THE MIDDLE (AITM) before the book was even published (August 2018). The image of a contemporary Native teen, who is not ridiculously glamorous, but pretty and real (love those earrings!), got stuck in my mind immediately. I thought, ‘I want to know who this girl is,’ and why there’s a pink house in the background. I am happy to say that the book more than lived up to my expectations. It’s not just a well-written, enjoyable book I admired from a distance. In some ways, I feel I am that girl on the cover, fifteen-year old Apple Starkington. Even though the circumstances of our lives are very different. Like Apple, I have a White father and a Native mother. My mom is Florida Seminole, while Apple’s mother was Turtle Mountain Chippewa.

Welcome to Indigo's Bookshelf!

We are a group of Florida Natives--Miccosukee, Seminole, Black, Latinix, queer and disabled--from the ages 12-20, who are passionate about kidlit and yalit. We believe in the power of books to reflect, entertain and enrich our lives from the time we are young ones. We enjoy books in digital and bound copies, with texts and/or graphics. We have experienced the bitter disappointment and danger of widespread Native misrepresentation, theft, cruelty and lies in books for all young readers. This blog is dedicated to reviewing Native #ownvoices. To us, that means books written from an inside perspective by Native authors, with proper research, respect and authorization, first and foremost for young Native readers, but also to educate other young readers and their families. We join our elders in calling to replace harmful, stereotypical texts in libraries, schools and homes. This blog is named after our friend Indigo, a Q2S sixteen-year-old who took her own life in 2018  Her beauty